2018 TCA Awards: FX Tops Wins, Heritage Award to 'Friends' & Rita Moreno Honored
On Saturday night, the Television Critics Association (TCA) handed out its 34th Annual TCA Awards to the best of the best in television.
Held at The Beverly Hilton Hotel in Beverly Hills and hosted by writer/producer Robin Thede (The Rundown with Robin Thede), the awards were cast by the organization's more than 200 professional TV critics and journalists in in the United States and Canada. This year's awards also added a category — Outstanding Achievement In Sketch/Variety Shows.
Plus, 'The Americans' scores four nominations.
For the third consecutive year, FX topped the night with four awards. Three of those went to the recently completed series, The Americans (Program of the Year, Outstanding Achievement in Drama and one for star Keri Russell for Individual Achievement in Drama). The fourth award to the network went to American Crime Story: The Assassination of Gianni Versace in the Outstanding Achievement In Movies And Miniseries category.
Other awards given included the previously announced Heritage Award to the NBC/Warner Bros. Television comedy Friends (1994-2004), with the classic series' co-creators David Crane and Marta Kauffman on hand to receive the honor.
Also previously announced, the Lifetime Achievement Award was bestowed upon Rita Moreno, the stage-and-screen (big and small) entertainment icon and one of the rare performers who has achieved the EGOT coup (someone who has won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony).
The definitive guide on when and where to watch your shows this fall.
In the TV realm, Moreno has appeared in countless programs including Oz, The Rockford Files, The Muppet Show and currently on the Netflix revival of the Norman Lear hit comedy, One Day At A Time. Lear himself, who also received this award from the TCA, in 1999 (when it was known as the Career Achievement Award), was on hand to present Moreno with the TCA's honor.
"This year's TCA Awards offered the welcome opportunity to say goodbye to one of the era's most critically acclaimed shows in The Americans, a drama that combined espionage thrills, high emotional stakes and international intrigue that couldn't have been more current," said Daniel Fienberg, TCA President/Hollywood Reporter TV Critic.
"Our other winners included new shows like Killing Eve and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, rebooted shows like Queer Eye, the anthological darkness of another American Crime Story chapter and the hopefully timeless and unending wonder of Sesame Street. As we always say, TV offers something for every audience in 2018 and if you can't find anything to watch, you're not trying hard enough and you need to read some more TV critics!"
2018 TCA Award Recipients
- Individual Achievement in Drama: Keri Russell (The Americans, FX)
- Individual Achievement in Comedy: Rachel Brosnahan (The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, Amazon)
- Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: (Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown, CNN)
- Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: Queer Eye (Netflix)
- Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: Sesame Street (HBO)
We made a podcast! Find out more and listen to our first trio of episodes.
- Outstanding Achievement in Sketch/Variety Shows: Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
- Outstanding New Program: Killing Eve (BBC America)
- Outstanding Achievement in Movies And Miniseries: The Assassination of Gianni Versace: American Crime Story (FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in Drama: The Americans (FX)
- Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: The Good Place (NBC)
- Program of the Year: The Americans (FX)
- Lifetime Achievement Honoree: Rita Moreno
- Heritage Award: Friends (NBC)
Past TCA Awards honorees can be found at this website.
Rachel Brosnahan, Jason Bateman, and more.