“Given the size of our fan base and their appetite for WWE programming well beyond our core in-ring shows Monday Night Raw and SmackDown Live, this is the ideal time to further establish the WWE brand with new genres across platforms,” said Vince McMahon, WWE Chairman & CEO in a release. “WWE Studios is open for business with this new TV and digital initiative.”
Can't wait for ESPN’s '30 for 30' on Ric Flair? Here are seven other pro-wrestling documentaries to hold you over.
Michael Luisi, President of WWE Studios, will continue to oversee the studio and the new television and digital directive.
"Our new expanded focus on television and digital continues to push WWE Studios as a multi-platform production company, with the ability to create original content for global distribution as we have successfully done for the big screen," said Luisi. "We look forward to identifying key partners to work alongside us while creating opportunities to use our on-screen WWE talent in new and exciting ways."
WWE has already seen TV success outside of ring action with E! shows like Total Divas and Total Bellas. Earlier this year, a WWE documentary about Andre the Giant was announced, which is being created in partnership with HBO for a 2018 premiere.
The incredible life of the legendary Andre the Giant will be the subject of an upcoming documentary on HBO.
In the feature-film realm, WWE Studios has produced movies like The Call and The Marine, and recently teamed up with former WWE star and now international mega-star actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson to produce Fighting With My Family, which hits theaters next year.