'Last Week Tonight With John Oliver' to Stay on HBO Through 2020
HBO has ordered three more, 30-episode seasons of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, keeping the satirical news program on the network through 2020.
The announcement was made Tuesday by Casey Bloys, president of HBO programming.
'This is what they need and this is what we can give them,' said actor Matthew McConaughey.
"We are thrilled to have John Oliver as an integral part of the HBO family and to continue to share his comedic brilliance with the world," said Bloys in a statement. "His extraordinary genius for rich and intelligent commentary is second to none."
"First: I firmly disagree with everything Casey just said," Oliver added. "Second: We're very grateful to Richard Plepler, Casey and everyone at HBO for letting us continue to do whatever it is we actually do. And finally: We'd also like to thank our staff for all their hard work. We're incredibly proud of all of you, and rather than tell you that to your face, we'd like to do it in the cold, dispassionate form of a press release."
The show premiered in 2014 and is now in its fourth season.
By Karen Butler
Originally published in UPI Entertainment News.